The North Eastern Congregation, or Pine Street Shul as it is more generally known, had its beginnings in 1923 in the home of the Sturisky family in 9th St Orange Grove. Initially only Shabbat and Yomtov services were held, but after a couple of years it extended to all services, and in 1946 a communal hall was built to accommodate the congregation which continued to grow so substantially that in 1961 it made its home in the landmark structure in Pine Street, which until today has continued to serve the diverse needs of its members.




the History